The Residents: 70's
"Meet the Residents" was the public's first introduction in 1974. They offered the album by mail order for half-price. One of the more notable tracks on this album is "Smelly Tonques". Many people bought it for the cover art even though they only sold 50 albums at the time. And they were probably the first group to get in trouble with copyrights.
Boots
Numb erone
Guylum Bardot
Breath and Length
Consuelo Departure
Smelly Tongues
Rest Aria
Skratz
Spotted Pinto Bean
Infant Tango
Seasoned Greetings
N-er-gee (Crisis Blues)
In 1976, The Residents continued to deconstruct popular 60's music that had made it to the top 40 with Third Reich 'n Roll, taking aim at the music industry and mass-consumption. They used loops (samples didn't exist yet) which included more copyright problems. The Residents also produced one of the first music videos with this album, which has been widely seen on UTube. Swastikas on Parade
Hitler was a Vegetarian
Satisfaction
Loser = Weed
Beyond the Valley of a Day in the Life
Flying

Snakefinger is slithering all over this album as well. After Not Available was recorded (already posted), Duck Stab and Buster & Glenn were released in 1978. Of these three, this is the one I'd pick for someone who has never listened to The Residents before. Several bands (including covers from Primus) list this album as a favorite.
Constantinople
Sinister Exaggerator
Booker Tease
Blue Rosebuds
Laughing Song
Bach is Dead
Elvis and his Boss
Lizard Lady
Semolina
Birthday Boy
Weight-Lifting Lulu
Krafty Cheese
Hello Skinny
The Electrocutioner





6 comments :
Nice to see all the early Residents in one place at one time. Track 4 (Breadth and Length)missing from Meet The...,any chance of this being upped seperately,that would be cool.
Best,Mike
Thanks for telling me. I re-upped it and fixed the link in the post.
http://rapidshare.com/files/114796315/TR-MTR-fxd.zip
The early stuff was getting hard to find. I couldn't let that happen.
This is the first Residents album I heard, and I was instantly hooked. Since then, all these years later, I still love this album even if the rest of their stuff grows tiresome (sorry, just too much iambic heptameter).
Thanx,d/l right now.
Mike
Phenomenal! Thank you, so much for these Resident's albums! =)
Anyone know why this post is showing up on Google search? I thought I had removed this entire website from Google indexing and I don't see any links to this post. Anyone?
This is my first attempt at web-anything, so I don't know all the ins and outs.
Post a Comment