No-Man
"Formed in Hemel Hempstead, U.K. in 1986, the first incarnation was as No Man Is An Island (Except The Isle Of Man), featuring guitarist Stuart "The Still Owl" Blagden and violinist Ben Coleman. Blagden left and the remaining three abbreviated the name to No-Man.
The trio seemed set for mainstream success, winning the Single of the Week in both Melody Maker and Sounds for 'Days in the Trees'. But commercial success eluded them. No-Man headed into deeper art rock territory, recording with the likes of Robert Fripp, Steve Jensen, Richard Barbieri and Mick Karn. Bowness and Wilson split with Coleman and their label, One Little Indian in 1994 and have recorded since as a duo."
No-Man is not Porcupine Tree. They have a very melodious, sometimes ambient sound that is easy to take for granted and let slip into the background. That's a big mistake. The more I listen to them, the more I hear the quirks, sarcasm, playfulness, and challenging concepts that are more typical of Wilson's work. That adds an intentionally deceptive contrast to their sound which makes it easy to understand why No-Man would fly over the heads of mainstream attention almost like a tv show or movie missing the track telling the audience how they should be reacting.
No-Man doesn't seem overly concerned with the continual drive towards success in the way that Porcupine Tree has evolved into. They almost intend to be skipped by anyone who isn't willing to listen to them.
No-Man's latest release is "Schoolyard Ghosts" 2008, and their best yet - but it is also more serious than their previous work. I found "Schoolyard Ghosts" on plenty of other sites.
FlowerMouth 94Angels Get Caught In The Beauty Trap
You Grow More Beautiful
Animal Ghost
Soft Shoulders
Shell Of A Fighter
Teardrop Fall
Watching Over Me
Simple
Things Change
Dry Cleaning Ray
Ghost Track 1 and 2
Housewives Hooked on Heroin
Infant Phenomenon
Libertine Libretto
My Revenge on Seattle
My Rival Trevor
Pretty Genius
Radiant City
Sheeploop
Sinister Jazz
Taste My Dream
Time Travel in Texas
(*I had a hard time getting the album cover for Returning Jesus uploaded into Blogger. I'm still working on it. It is included though)
Only Rain
No Defence
Close Your Eyes
Carolina Skeletons
Outside the Machine
Returning Jesus
Slow It All Down
Lighthouse
All That You Are
Together We're Stranger
All The Blue Changes
Things I Want To Tell You
Photographs in Black and White
Back When You Were Beautiful
The Break-Up For Real
True North from the album "Schoolyard Ghosts"
And I will be returning to The Residents soon.







1 comments :
Thank You!!!
Post a Comment