Monday, May 12, 2008

The Early Residents: Santa Dog (72), Warner Bros. and Baby Sex (71)

"Santa Dog" was the first official release from The Residents by the Cryptic Corporation on Ralph Records, which they had incorporated to continue publishing their material. The Residents are one of the first independent bands.



Fire
Explosion
Lightning
Aircraft Damage

In 1971, they collected some of their recordings and sent it off to Warner Brothers. Because they didn't include any identifying information (like names) their rejection was addressed to "The Residents" and that became their name. Later that year they also performed "Baby Sex" at a party. Neither the "Warner Bros." or "Baby Sex" were ever officially released by The Residents.

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Great post!

    I'm surprised to find those records I've only heard of before.

    As I have always been curious about how the Residents started I think my curiosity will be satisfied now.

  2. Anonymous said...

    Real historic stuff!
    Great!

    m-f