Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindf*ck)

I.E.M. (Incredible Expanding Mindf*ck) is Steve Wilson's (Porcupine Tree, No-Man, Bass Communion) solo experimental project and it's nothing like any of his other projects. Freed of any constraints, Wilson plays everything from mellotron, organ, guitars, generator, tables, drums, bell tree, shaker, piano, taboura, gong, tape recorder, sampler, sewing machine, and more. The project stems from his interest in 60's and 70's cosmic-space, ambient, psychedelic jazz from artists like Sun Ra, Can, Hydra, and others. However this is not a nostalgic trip down memory lane. 


The anthology is my favorite. Another reviewer called it "the ultimate headphone experience". The LP is available through Wilson's store, Burning Shed for under $40. Some of the prices I've seen for the cd's might make a better investment than stocks. 


The Gospel According to the I.E.M.
The Last Will and Testament of Emma Peel
Fie Kesh
Deafman
Headphone Dust


Wreck
Beth Krasky
We Are Not Alone
Cicadian Haze
Politician
Arcadia Son
Shadow of a Twisted Hand Across My House
Goldilocks, Age 4

0 comments :