Sunday, February 22, 2009

Everybody Deserves Music: Michael Franti

"Even our worst enemies deserve music." 
"It takes more courage to reach out and connect with people than it does to bomb them or strap explosives around your gut." -- Michael Franti

There isn't a simple description for Michael Franti: Music, film, kid's books and yoga. Baghdad, Palestine, Gaza and Israel. Rebellious, inspirational, healing and relaxing. Reggae, hip-hop, rock, r&b, and funk. And he's been barefoot for several years (the video below explains). 

The best way I can explain Franti & Spearhead is a voice as soothing as Jack Johnson with a beat + intelligent lyrics and heart. They've worked hard for success using alternative methods, word of mouth, charities, festivals, internet and a variety of causes. Right now they have a song available for download for Obama

"Anthems like the title track "Everyone Deserves Music", "Yes I Will" and "Bomb The World" are constructed with a nod to the 1980s rock of The Clash and U2, as well as to classic soul from Stax and Motown. The song "We Don't Stop" (featuring Gift of Gab from Blackalicious and Spearhead's rapper/beatbox technician Radioactive) bridges the two sounds in a "Magnificent Seven" style mash-up. And on "Love Why Did You Go Away" and "What I Be", Franti reveals an alluring, sensual singing voice. "Pray For Grace" and "Bomb The World (Armageddon Version)" pair Franti with the reggae/funk giants Sly and Robbie (Grace Jones, Rolling Stones, Black Uhuru, No Doubt)." -- Wikipedia

"Franti has an amazing ability to take on the most serious, heavy, and depressing topics and still offer an uplifting message." -- Boing Boing

His film is about his travels through the middle east "I Know I'm Not Alone" and they allow taping during their concerts which are available at the Internet Archive. He's an amazing, one man revolution.

01  What I Be
02  We Don't Stop
03  Everyone Deserves Music
04  Never Too Late
05  Bomb The World
06  Pray For Grace
07  Love, Why Did You Go Away
08  Yes I Will
09  Feelin' Free
10  Love Invincible
11  Bomb The World (Armageddon Version)
12  Crazy. Crazy. Crazy

Songs from the Front Porch is an album consisting of acoustic versions of songs, reworked from earlier albums with a couple of news ones added. If you have an appreciation for music that is not over produced, minimal, beautiful and insightful, then you'll enjoy this. One thing that stands out is Michael Franti's calming, smooth baritone voice. 

01  Yes I Will
02  Closer To The Sky
03  Firefly
04  Love'll Set Me Free
05  Love Invincible
06  Anybody Seen My Mind
07  Sometimes
08  Stay Human
09  Oh My God
10  Ganja Babe

Yell Fire!, Bomb the World and interview (live) Indie103.1FM

0 comments :