Saturday, October 25, 2008

Freakin' at the Freakers Ball

From penning Johnny Cash's "Boy Named Sue", to Playboy cartoons, to Dr. Demento's "Freakin at the Freakers Ball, to writing "The Missing Piece" and "The Giving Tree" - how can anyone not know about Shel Siverstien? This album is a classic. 


A couple of Shel Siverstein quotes:
"When I was a kid—12, 14, around there—I would much rather have been a good baseball player or a hit with the girls. But I couldn't play ball, I couldn't dance. Luckily, the girls didn't want me; not much I could do about that. So I started to draw and to write. I was also lucky that I didn't have anybody to copy, be impressed by. I had developed my own style."

"I think that if you're creative person, you should just go about your business, do your work and not care about how it's received. I never read reviews because if you believe the good ones you have to believe the bad ones too. Not that I don't care about success. I do, but only because it lets me do what I want."

Shel Siverstein: Freakin at the Freaker's Ball (1972)
Thumbsucker
I Got Stoned and I Missed It
Sara Cynthia Sylvia Stout Wouldn't Take the Garbage Out
Stacy Brown Got Two
Polling in a Pony
Freakin At the Freaker's Ball
All About You
Don't Give a Dose to the One You Love the Most
The Peace Proposal
Masochistic Baby
Liberated Lay
The Man Who Got No Sign
A Front Row Seat to Hear Ole Johnny Sing
Everbody's Makin It Big But Me

Folksinger Blues

0 comments :