Gotta Laugh: It's Snow Patrol
A comment by Snow Patrol against the sentence of The Pirate Bay;
“They shouldn’t have been jailed,” he said. “A year in jail for someone doing that is crazy. The punishment doesn’t fit the crime.” Lightbody added that he wasn’t even against people illegally downloading music for free online. “I’m not anti-filesharing at all. This is the modern way,” he added."
Wait a minute. According to RIAA Radar, most of Snow Patrol's records have been published by RIAA-associated labels (RIAA-bait). That means Snow Patrol was a party in prosecuting TPB through their label. So what gives?
A) Is being associated with RIAA so unpopular that bands need to deny their associated label's?
B) Are bands so clueless they don't know if their label is RIAA and part of the lawsuits?
C) Maybe it's free publicity and marketing.
D) All of the above.
Snow Patrol should be advised that announcements like that work best if they actually dump their label like NIN and Radiohead did. To my knowledge, Snow Patrol haven't planned any online releases or other appropriate ceremonial label dumping soon.
A few years ago I read an article, written by a record label exec on 'Why Bands Need Labels' and used Snow Patrol as an example. There was one line that stuck out and it went like this; "Not every band (referring to Snow Patrol) can be as talented as Arctic Monkey and make it on their own".
Oops. I wasn't convinced Snow Patrol needed that kind of label support.
I can't keep up with all the music available now which makes me believe the music industry has never been healthier or more creative. But it's outside of "hit" charts and tracking by RIAA. I can't go back. I haven't missed not hearing Snow Patrol, Nickleback, Metallica, Brittney, or whatever labels think should be "hot".
I can disagree. That's scary for the music industry.
If I can't talk about what I like, share it with others, listen to it when and where I want, then I'm not interested in it. There's no compromise. It's not just about money.
Now if Snow Patrol's comments could be used against take down notices or as evidence in court, then I'd attach some meaning to their words. But until then (if ever) their comments are just a bad marketing tactic.





0 comments :
Post a Comment