Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Tin Hat Trio

Tin Hat Trio creates music that I'd describe as the "soundtrack for life". They mix in everything from styles to instruments, tango to banjo, chamber music to toy piano. It's tongue-in-check, off-kilter, eerily upbeat music that integrates with waiting in line, shopping, driving, thinking, watching, getting dressed, having lunch, picking up, dropping off that makes the mundane interesting. I have an appreciation for art that's able to make the ordinary seem extraordinary. Some days I feel like I'm living in a situation comedy that someone forgot to film and this is the soundtrack. Every album also features guest artists. Helium with Tom Waits is a standout. 

Most reviews describe Tin Hat Trio as jazz and focus on their individual classical accomplishments. That's very misleading. They have been featured in games, a number of independent films and at MOMA. But I wouldn't describe them as jazz or classical. They create soundtracks for everyday life.

Memory is An Elephant (1999)
Fire of Ada
Foreign Legion
Big Top
Orbly Resting
Waltz of the Skyscraper
The Would-Be Czarina
The Quick Marble Tremble
Somniloquy
Lambrackroar
Thinuette
Helium (2000)
A Life in East Poultney
Helium
Beverly's March
Scrap
Sand Dog Blues
The Fountain of Youth
Slip
Width of the World
Seamstress Extraordinaire
Esperanto
Big Blue House
Old Grey Mare
Brennero
Anna Kournikova
Helium Reprise (Tom Waits)

The Longest Night
The Clandestine Adventures of Ms. Merz
Compay
Hotel Aurora
Osborne Avenue
Elliot Carter Family
Things That Might Have Been
Red Hook Stoop
Same Shirt, Different Day
Pabio Looks Back
Light Black from Pole to Pole
Empire of Light
Lauren's Lullaby
Invisible Mobile
March of the Smallest Feet

It was hard to pick which video to use. This is the Clandestine Adventures of Ms. Merz.

0 comments :