Friday, September 5, 2008

HMHB

The best description I've seen for Half Man Half Biscuit has been "wickedly funny". They poke fun at everything. The quality of these earlier recordings suffers, but that's true for a lot of punk bands that were around then. The lyrics more than make up for that. Reportedly Half Man Half Biscuit have turned down major label deals in the past because they wanted the band to tour, and well, that was too much work. The band has also quit the music business before too, saying that it had gotten to be just too much work. 

I don't think the slang gets in the way of understanding, but some of it is local and explanations are listed on their website (http://cobweb.businesscollaborator.com/hmhb/records/). You can also buy their albums direct. Their wit and sarcasm is sharp and honest. It's not slapstick and similar situations exist on both sides of the Atlantic; celebritism, employment, sports, government, religion, relationships.

Half Man Half Biscuit are still performing and recording. CSI: Ambleside (2008) was  just released. And Half Man Half Biscuit still doesn't travel further than they can get home that evening. Enjoy!

Half Man Half Biscuit: Davie Dickies Eyes EP (86)
Davie Dickies Eyes
The Bastard Son of Dean Friedman
I Left My Heart in Papworth General
Back in the DHHS and Trumpton Riots EP (88)
Busy Little Market Town
God Gave Us Life
Fuckin' 'ell, It's Fred Titmus
Seal Clubbing
99% of Gargoles Look Like Bob Todd
Time Flies By (when your the driver of a train)
I Hate Nerys Hughes
The Len Ganley Stance
Venus in Flares
I Love You Because (you look like Jim Reeves)
Reflections in a Flat
I Left My Heart In Papworth General
The Trumpton Riots
Architecture and Morality, Ted and Alice
1966 and All That
Albert Hammond Bootleg
All I Want for Christmas is a Dukia Prague Away Kit
No Regrets (long version)
No Regrets
Outbreak of Vitas Gerulatis
Prag Vec at the Melkweg
Christian Rock Concert
Let's Not
Yipps (my baby got the)
Hedly Verityesque
A Lilac Harry Quinn
Our Tune 
Girlfriend's Finished With Him
Everything's A.O.R.

HMHB: No Regrets with Margi Clarke

5 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    excellent post to wake up to on a sat'day morn - half man half biscuit, and totally crackers!

  2. Cherry Hinton Blue said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  3. IMI said...

    Cherry, you might want to check that link.

    I knew there had to be other fans out there.

  4. Cherry Hinton Blue said...

    Duh, let's try again. Shameless self-promotion I know, but those who want to get to know the true genius of the band should head on over to The Half Man Half Biscuit Lyrics Project.

  5. IMI said...

    BTW - The Lyrics Project is a great site!