Wednesday, November 26, 2008

16 HP

If you've never heard of Sixteen Horsepower, then you'll want to hear them for yourself because they are nearly impossible to describe. The best I can do is an alternative-rock band (there's no doubt about that) that has infused brooding, dark Appalachian folk/bluegrass/zydeco style with passionate, foreboding psychedelic-evangelistic lyrics that might even appease doom metal and goth rockers. Are you clear as muddy water now? 


That description still isn't accurate because I never would have guessed that I'd like them and I do. David Edwards is the composer, lead singer and multi-instrumentalist, who plays a variety of antique instruments such as concertina, bandoneon, hurdy gurdy, in addition to other members playing more standard instruments like the accordion, banjo, acoustic and electric guitars, cello, and drums. The musicianship between them is tight and multi-layered, without sacrificing their primitive americana folk sound. Sixteen Horsepower makes even a banjo rock.

But the unexpected lyrics are what push Sixteen Horsepower beyond the edge. Edwards draws heavily from his upbringing as the son of a traveling preacher. But this is not Christian Rock. He twists common themes of evangelical torments; evil, death, temptation, faith with expressions that don't have clear intentions. The simple phrase,"Oh my God" can transform into a despairing hallucinogenic landscape used as an urgent appeal. The music shifts between eerie and compelling, and usually is both. 

No one would call Sixteen Horses music mediocre. The band originated in Denver, Colorado in the mid-90's and toured with Nick Cave and Morphine as opening acts. They broke up in 2005 and many of their albums (5) are now falling out-of-print. Edwards has continued on by forming the band Woven Hand.

I Seen What I Saw
Black Soul Choir
Scrawled in Sap
Horse Head
Ruthie Lingie
Harm's Way
Black Bush
Heel on the Shovel
American Wheeze
Red Neck Reel
Prison Shoe Ramp
Neck on the New Blade
Strong Man

Clogger
Wayfaring Stranger
Cinder Alley
Burning Bush
Poor Mouth
Silver Saddle
Praying Arm Lane
Splinters
Just Like Birds
Nobody 'Cept You
Strawfoot

Haw


Clogger

1 comments :

  1. HCJoel said...

    A friend hooked me up with 16HP a few years back. While I can't say I listen to them all the time, I definitely like them and recognize the incredible talent here. If you can find The Denver Gentlemen, you'll like them too. It's one or two of the guys from the original 16HP line-up before 16HP.