Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Residents Tell Stories

Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats started out as a video project in the 70's but video advances (VHS) outdated it faster than they could shoot it and they retired the footage they had -but never forgot it and in 1984 The Residents released the soundtrack for it. 


The story concerns a town named Vileness Fats and the love triangle between an Indian priestess who lives forever and a schizophrenic one-armed midget (his mother is the only person that knows he's two people). 

Tracks 12-20 were the soundtrack for The Census Taker, a low budget horror film directed by Bruce R. Cook and The Residents first commercial movie score. 

The Residents: Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats?

Whatever Happened to Vileness Fats?
Atomic Shopping Carts
Adventures of a Troubled Heart
Search for the Short Man
The Importance of Evergreen
Broccoli and Saxophone
Disguised as Meat 
Thoughts Busily Betraying
Lord, It's Lonely
The Knife Fight

(from the Census Taker)
Creeping Dread
Talk
Hellno
Where is She?
Innocence Decayed
Romanian
Passing the Bottle
The Census Taker Returns
The Residents begin a new chapter with God in 3 Persons by developing their narrative talking-blues style which uses a chorus to add comments and the music becoming illustrative for creating the emotional mood for the story.

This is about Colonel Tom Parker's (Mr. X) discovery of siamese twins (one female and one male) who have magical healing powers. After he convinces them to tour and let him manage their careers, he begins to lust after the female twin. However, the twins turn out to be less naive and more worldly than what he was lead to believe, leading to a shocking climax. (I'm not going to tell you what happens if you haven't heard this disc before.)


God in Three Persons
Hard and Tenderly
Devotion?
The Thing About Them
Their Early Years
Loss of a Loved One
The Touch
The Service
Confused (By What I Felt Inside)
Fine Fat Flies
Time
Silver, Sharp, and Could Not Care
Kiss of Flesh
Pain and Pleasure

1 comments :

  1. Fred G. Sanford said...

    thanks for posting this.

    I keep seeing Vileness Fats in E Bay
    (or is it ON e-bay?).
    People are describing it as a "Rock ALbum", etc. but have never heard it.

    so, since I loved MEET THE RESIDENTS and 3rd RnR in particular,
    I am anxious to check this out.


    also found the Tunes of Two Cities on yr blog. My copy was on cassette. This I found rather annoying, because the CHUB tunes ("twisted swing?" it says here)
    are great, but the Mole recordings
    didn't do that much for me. Since they didn't put all the Chub stuff on one side, I always has to fast forward through to get to the good stuff.
    anyway thanks
    oh and thanks for the Tuxedomoon stuff also.
    I had sold my Tux Mon stuff a while ago.
    Found the first Tuxedomoon single, joeboy/pinheads on some blog. (maybe Last Days of Man On Earth?)