Google, Utube, Viacom, MTV and Privacy
Update: Viacom has agreed to anonymize UTubes records on viewers. 7/14
How can UTube be threatening? No one charges me to watch tv clips or videos, so I never would have bought them. Videos aren't intrenched in my daily lifestyle such that I can't easily live without them. There's a lot of competition for my entertainment attention. Viacom should feel lucky if I watched their videos at all.
But personally identifiable information shouldn't be turned over to anyone without an agreement about how that information can or can't be used. The order included public and private videos, any videos that had ever been removed for any reason (not just TOS), and videos that aren't owned by Viacom. Remember AOL? I have little doubt about whether Viacom will use the data for commercial reasons and sell it. The judges that decide these types of cases have no excuse for being so recklessly ignorant about the internet.
"Viacom's request amounts to a dragnet".
Another observation might be that Google kept information after they agreed to limit identifiable data being collected. I guess Google forgot they owned UTube. This should have never happened to begin with.





0 comments :
Post a Comment