Friday, July 30, 2010

My Worst Fear

I guess I could make a clock out of it. What I can't do is share what I don't have, mainly 500 GB of music ... gone. Back-ups? Some. Not all. Not the really obscure stuff including some very old vintage film clips I hadn't burned off yet. I usually replace drives every year whether they need it or not and just hadn't gotten around to it yet ...


This is why physical cd's and dvd's are better.

6 comments :

  1. Dat Big Cheeze said...

    This happens, there's a program out there, freebee, which I've used, believe the name is Recoverit, which found about 95 percent of my stuff, unless the drive is fried, then it's a door stop.

  2. Zer0_II said...

    I'm really sorry to hear that. I know I would be devastated if anything ever happened to my drive. I bought a terabyte hd, but I can't afford to buy another for backup purposes at the moment.

  3. Anonymous said...

    Found this out myself about a month ago - lost nearly 800 GB. Reading the website for the drive I had showed me it happens a lot - funny it's not part of their advertising. got some of it back using Recuva.

  4. IMI said...

    I got this drive from OWC because of their good reputation (and paid extra $). It has served me well for over 2yrs. It's my fault I had been procrastinating installing the new drive (and cleaning up the "computer corner" I live in). It stings I've learned this lesson before; "If you can't afford to do back-ups, then add a new drive every year". Famous last words. I know this drill. My drives are on 24/7.

    When I get back on my "real computer" (this one doesn't even have spell ck) I'll post a link to the 1100+ pdf file of just the music I lost in case anyone wants to volunteer some links to replace it. That would be nice.

    The timing is awful. My dad just went into a nursing home and I'm spending a lot of time caring for him (fighting nurses and doctors) plus my car died last weekend. Sux. I'm kinda glad I'm not home much right now. Loosing this drive is overwhelming.

  5. Anonymous said...

    Have you tried a usb to sata/IDE bridge ? You just plug it into your non functioning hard drive on one end where the sata/IDE connection would be and the other has a usb connection you stick in your computer. Your computer sees the drive as a giant flash drive and you can browse to all your files and copy them over. I work in IT for a school district and we use this all the time to recover lost data.

  6. IMI said...

    That's simple enough to give it a shot. If it works, I'll be a little peeved that drive recovery sites and manufacturers don't mention this. Plus I'll be convinced you walk on water too :)