Passport and Klaus Doldinger
Wikipedia just mentions Klaus Doldinger as a German saxophonist and composer, who had a successful band called Passport. There is no separate entry for Passport. That's such an understatement, it's comical or criminal.
I thought of Passport while wondering whether music that's heard earlier in life affects musical taste later on. I don't know about that, but I do know when I first heard Passport, what I wanted to listen to after that dramatically changed. I still like their earlier work best and I think it's because they were oriented towards a rock influenced fusion jazz (think ELP and Wakeman). Passport tends to get progressively softer in the 80's (think Camel, Tom Scott), and then mellows out completely in the 90's (think Safeway). Just the Hipnogsis covers made their albums worth owning. Some people might be more familiar with Doldinger's movie soundtracks for Das Boot and Neverending Story.
I've replaced both Looking Thru and Cross-Collateral several times because I either wore them out or lost them in divorce. Wearing out an album is always a high honor, but loosing them in divorce was probably even more amazing since he was a die-hard Beatles fan. Only Harry Chapin had cracked into his sheltered musical world before. Who knew it was possible to not hear the word "ugh" right after the word "jazz" (think miracle).
Anyway, Passport remains very underrated and overlooked. Everyone deserves to hear them, like shelter, food, medical care, and Passport.
Second Passport 1972Mandragora
Nexus
Fairy Tale
Get Yourself a Second Passport
Registration
Horizon Beyond
Eternal Spiral
Looking Thru
Zwischenspiel
Rockport
Tarantula
Ready for Take Off
Eloquence
Jado
Albatros Song
Cross-Collateral
Homunculus
Ju-Ju Man
Morning Sun
Blue Aura
Infinity Machine
Ostinata
Contemplation








0 comments :
Post a Comment