Entanglements
Although I'd like to write my own reviews, frequently I find a comment that describes the music so perfectly that I can't add anything more beyond a lame comment such as "listen to this!"
"Ne'er hast these ears heard such a grand scale pop symphony dedicated to a most unholy, sex fueled fable concerning a 25 year old man and 14 year old girl! The ornamental, Victorian-era language matches "Thee's" and "Wherefore's" against numerous references to the teenager's sacred legs dividing. And we get her point of view as well - "His legs gave way like pages from a pop-up book....And I had to look!" Cue ragtime tuba.
While thinking about this semi-Lolita relationship makes one want to shower, listening to the instrumentation is a whole different ballgame. This is Top-Shelf swooning orchestal pop bursting with woodwind, string, brass and percussive mastery. The record draws from both classical masters of old and Philip Glass like minimalist composition without ever losing pop accessibility. Even the album's title is a fine double-entendre, ENTANGLEMENTS referring to the taboo relationship of the characters as well as the vast, complex arrangements. The symphonic movements themselves cleverly represent doing the deed - "A swell of strings sing 'neath the pleats of my dress" -- Amazon reviewer
02 Avenue Of Trees
03 Unmentionables
04 Gut Symmetries
05 A Song For Ellie Greenwich
06 Young Eucharists
07 Entanglement
08 Abandoning
09 The Former
10 Windmills Of Your Mind
11 This Regrettable End





0 comments :
Post a Comment