Friday, July 10, 2009

Dead Brothers

"Blues meets Chanson, Gypsy Swing meets Vaudeville and Brecht & Weil go for a drink with Hank Williams somewhere in St. Pauli, New York or Marseille. The Dead Brothers provocative yet cheerful performances have achieved world wide cult status. To wrap it all up, we'd like to say we believe to have made a paradoxical film, a balancing act between melancholy and exuberance, as well as existential questions and black slapstick humour." -- from the documentary, "Death is not the End", about the Dead Brothers


The Dead Brothers have described their music as "funeral gypsy swing orchestra" and "what's left of an orchestra after a car crash".  The truth behind this band using 3 tubas, 9 other horns, guitars, banjos, vos, accordion, mandolin, oboe, Indian prayer box, steel drums, and various other sounds the band has developed came from following one members studies of death at the University of Geneva, using vaudevillian theatrics and dark humor. Comparisons have included Tom Waits, Tiger Lillies and Man-Man.

I've been looking for anything from The Dead Brothers ever since I heard their song, "Can't Get Enough" and I wasn't disappointed. 

01  Dead Brothers Stomp
02  I've Always Know
03  Farmer Boy
04  Besame Mucho
05  Roger
06  She collects Postcards
07  Panjo Villa against Tarras Boulba
08  Crying
09  Hora
10  Allons aux paquis
11  Somewhere between Dog & Wolf
12  Buy it
13  Good Time Religion
14  Orally
15  Ramblin Man
16  Dead Brothers Stomp (Reprise)

01  Trust In Me
02  Old Pine Box
03  Greek Swing
04  I Can't Get Enough
05  Mustafa
06  Just A Hole
07  Am I To Be The One
08  Time Has Gone
09  Marlene
10  The Story of Woody And Bush
11  Fred

Can't Get Enough

Trust in Me

0 comments :